The following are required in order to be considered for entrance into the Practical Nursing Program.
To file an application, please complete the following:
- COMPLETED APPLICATION, including essay
- $50 NON-REFUNDABLE APPLICATION FEE (Check or money order made payable to Penn State)
- SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF THE TEAS TEST (www.atitesting.com)
- OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS (Please provide an official copy of your high school transcript or an official copy of your GED transcript along with record of courses you completed while in high school. If you have earned college credit, please provide an official transcript from each college).
- TWO PROFESSIONAL REFERENCE LETTERS
After successful completion of the TEAS test and prior to an interview being scheduled, you will need to show proof of purchase of the following clearances. Please be aware that all clearances must be completed no earlier than six months prior to the start of the program.
- FEDERAL (FBI) CRIMINAL HISTORY REPORT*
Application forms and instructions can be downloaded at https://www.pa.cogentid.com/index_dpw.htm Indicate “employment” as the “Reason Fingerprinted”. Please be sure to register under the Department of Public Welfare, NOT Department of Education! This clearance takes 4-6 weeks for processing.
- PA CHILD ABUSE HISTORY CLEARANCE*
Application forms can be downloaded at www.dpw.state.pa.us Indicate “School” as the “Purpose of Clearance” This clearance also takes 6-8 weeks for processing.
*Admission to the clinical components REQUIRES these mandatory clearances. Any applicant with certain felonies and/or misdemeanors, regardless of the duration of time since conviction, will not be offered admission to the PN program per Pennsylvania state laws (“The Professional Nursing Law” Act 69, P.L. 409, No. 10, and P.L 233, No. 64; Older Adults Protective Services Act, Act 169 as amended by Act 13, P.L. 233, No. 64) and clinical facility policies.
Applicants are considered based on their academic capacity and their ability to provide care to others. Academic proficiency is measured by: High School GPA, Number of College Credits earned, and the TEAS test, which carries double weight in the scoring process. Ability to provide care is determined by: your personal essay, letters of reference, personal interview, and length of time employed in a healthcare occupation.
Interviews will be scheduled as soon as all application materials and TEAS scores are received.
Application materials should be mailed to:
Practical Nursing Program Admissions
Attn: Marta DaSilva
Penn State Lehigh Valley
2809 Saucon Valley Road
Center Valley, PA 18034