TESLA is a three-week online program that provides a basic introduction to teaching English language learners (ELL) in foreign contexts. There are no textbooks.
This three-week online program provides a basic introduction to teaching English language learners (ELL) in foreign contexts. Through weekly course modules, participants will be introduced to a toolkit of ideas and strategies to prepare them for working with a variety of ELLs. Topics covered include areas such as understanding cultural diversity and multicultural education, teaching methodology and practice, and classroom management and assessment. Participants must register and complete all three modules to receive a certificate of completion.
Prerequisite: Bachelor’s degree (any content area)
TESLA MODULE DESCRIPTIONS
MODULE 1: DIVERSITY AND LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENTThe goals of this module focus on understanding:
- multicultural education and its core values, and what it means to be a
- multicultural educator
- who are today’s English language learners and what they bring to the classroom
- the role of linguistic and ethnic diversity in the framework of culturally
- competent teaching
- second language acquisition theory and development and strategies for supporting ELLs
MODULE 2: ESL METHODSThe goals of this module focus on:
- understanding the four domains of language learning: listening, speaking,
- reading, writing
- different approaches and strategies for teaching English as a foreign language
- tools for lesson plan development and implementation
- how various communicative activities can be implemented in each stage of language development
- the use of cooperative learning techniques within their own classroom
MODULE 3: CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT/ASSESSMENTThe goals of this module focus on:
- understanding learners’ needs and proficiencies and targeting instruction
- to meet those needs
- theories of language assessment, including informal, alternative and
- performance-based assessment
- classroom management in terms of student engagement
SCHEDULE and FEES
Classes will begin in early summer 2012.
Cost: $499 for the entire programFor more information, please contact Nancy Coco at firstname.lastname@example.org or 610-285-5026.
To register, contact Kathy Eck at email@example.com or 610-285-5057.
2809 Saucon Valley Road
Center Valley, PA 18034-8447
The Penn State Center
@ Overlook Park
445 Hanover Avenue
Allentown, PA 18109